I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award by the lovely Jessica at Mind Of A Mermaid. The award is to recognize and welcome new bloggers, as well as encourage them to meet other bloggers.
1. Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. Display the award on your blog
3. Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers.
6. Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
7. List these rules in your post
8. Inform the blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster Award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it
I was never actually huge on those Myspace and Facebook surveys of Middle School. But, alas, a blogging moment tis a blogging moment and I will see it through.
Questions from Jessica
1. If you could choose a character from a book to be your best friend, who would it be and why?
I’m torn. Between Jacob from North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley and Fermin Romero de Torres from The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I agree so fervently with both of their outlooks on life. They’re both the personification of the funny-yet-oddly-wise character and I’m very much about that life. Some quotes:
“Destiny is usually just around the corner. Like a thief, a hooker, or a lottery vendor: its three most common personifications. But what destiny does not do is home visits. You have to go for it.” – Fermin
“So I figured if people were going to stare at me anyway, then I would choose the term of their staring. I can dictate what they see.” – Jacob
And a special shout out to Manchee the dog from The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness for one of the best opening scenes I’ve experienced in a novel.
“Need a poo, Todd.” – Manchee
2. What is your favorite breakfast food?
Grits. With butter, pepper, sausage, and egg mixed it. The sausage is required. And I always finish off the meal with some raspberry iced tea because that’s how I do.
3. What’s your favorite cheesy romantic comedy?
Define “cheesy”. My favorite romantic comedies are probably Love Actually and About Time. They were made by the same people, and they’re both wonderful. The second one’s a romcom about time travel. So. I dig that.
4. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In apartment in New York. If we’re meant to be specific here, on June 29th, 2024, I’ll probably be sitting on the couch in my apartment yelling at my computer because I still haven’t finished my manuscript. It certainly isn’t my computer’s fault, but I image I’ll be living alone and I doubt my neighbors will appreciate my knocking on their door to yell at them because I still haven’t finished my manuscript.
5. Favorite smell?
See, what’s weird is I was recently just asked this question. My answer was one of those iffy on the fly things you’re mad you said because you think of ten better things to say later. The answer I received was fabulous, but I don’t think I could quite capture it’s glory from memory.
My favorite smell is actually what happens when I’m in a big book store surrounded by books, but I also have two day old movie theater popcorn and a bottle of raspberry iced tea with me. And my blanket. And my Pooh. And the bookstore is actually in my house so someone is in the kitchen making meat loaf and mashed potatoes. Oh yes.
6. What do you do when you need to relax? Creative outlets?
When I need to relax, I will either a.) Curl up alone and watch a really great movie, b.) Curl up alone and mindlessly scroll through the internet, or c.) Curl up alone and listen to the Shostakovich 8 on repeat. There are a few other things I suppose I could do, but I think I’ve expressed that it universally involves curling up alone and doing absolutely nothing. As for creative outlets, I love to write. I wrote a book once, but it’s terrible. I’ve started and never explored six different screen plays. I have thousands of pages of lore, ideas, and random scenes that will never make it into any of my stories. This actually kind of stresses me out, which then causes me to write more. I also play instruments. Piano and viola are my favorites, I thinks. And I draw. And sing. And dance. Just not all at once.
7. What would your super power be?
I have sat for hours considering this. I’ve always thought that I would need to consider the power I’d really like, and the power I’d actually have. I’d really like to fly. But, I’d actually be able to get into people’s heads and do whatever I want. Some would consider this an improvement. But I’m probably certifiable, so I’d definitely be a danger to myself and everyone around me. And I wouldn’t be a super hero. At least, not on purpose. I’d honestly just use it to mess with people.
8. What is your definition of love.
Romantic Love is a a chemical reaction within the brain that makes you temporarily incapable of logical reasoning.
I haven’t felt that kind, but I’ve have maternal love and sibling love and friendship love. And all that is basically the thing that people need to have to keep from killing each other. It’s kind of beautiful.
9. What song do you listen to to pump yourself up?
Well, I am quite fond of the Shostakovich 8. But that’s to find my zen. If I need to get something done, I listen to The Killers. Specifically, the album Day and Age on repeat. Some honorable mentions include A Beautiful Lie by 30 Seconds to Mars, Riot by Three Days Grace, and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.
10. What would you do different if you lived without the fear of being judged?
And people think I’m blunt now.
Really, though, I don’t really fear being judged. I fear being alone forever. There is a distinct difference, you see.
11. What was the last thing that made you laugh?
I recently realized that my sister’s life is like an infomercial. I will never stop laughing.
11 Random Facts
And, because this blog post still isn’t long enough, I have to give you eleven random facts about myself that otherwise are not likely to appear on this blog.
1. I have stacks of notebooks hidden away in my house filled with insane ramblings going back to the sixth grade.
2. I will not tolerate watermelon. Or any type of melon for that matter.
3. That being said, honeydew is my absolute favorite smell.
4. I hate flowers. I don’t know why, but looking at them kind of makes me angry.
5. Bake me snickerdoodles, bring me some caramel and milk chocolate lindor truffles, let me talk at you for an undefined period of time without interrupting, and I’ll probably do whatever you want.
6. When I can’t write, I lose all functionality in life. I’ve missed a month of school because I had writer’s block.
7. I do not, nor will I ever, understand flirting.
8. I often argue for a side I disagree with just for the sake of arguing. I really like arguing. Debating. Whatever.
9. You probably have noticed, but I have a truly unhealthy obsession with the video game world of Dragon Age. I know a lot of random lore just off the top of my head. The reason for this is because I can obsess better than anyone I know. The reason for this is because I have a disorder. Several, in fact. I like to think I’m quirky.
10. Gender and sexuality are weird. I don’t believe everyone has a binary. Binary is weird.
11. I went to China once and met a two year old named Christopher. He got adopted, so his name is Nate now. I still miss him, and thinking about him makes me
extensively slightly depressed.
My Nominations and Questions
my mind reels through film
Write and Day
It did occur to me that I don’t actually follow many new bloggers, and I began to fully understand the point of this award. See how that works?
Now, your task, should you choose to accept it, is to answer the questions I am about to list out for you, and then proceed to do all of the other said listed in the rules above. Yeah? Yeah. The questions are as follows:
1. If you could choose any three fictional character to simultaneously hang out with, who would you choose and why?
2. If you could teleport, where if the first place you would go?
3. If you could go through time to witness any event in history, what would it be?
4. What is your favorite blog post you’ve ever written?
5. What if your favorite blog post someone else has written?
6. What is your favorite website other than wordpress?
7. What is your quest?
8. What is your favorite color?
9. What’s in the box?
10. Is there is a single movie, television, gaming, book (etc.) reference you make constantly?
11. Why do you blog?
Have a lovely day. And feel free to answer any of these questions in the comments below.